Friends of Gov Dodge - logo

Welcome to the site of the Friends of Governor Dodge State Park!

We hope you enjoy your stay!

Home | Join the Friends | DONATE! | Calendar | Going Green | Contact Us | Endowment | Photo Contest

Search for Campsite Photos

Aerial photo map of Gov Dodge

History of Governor Dodge State Park

1944

Iowa County Conservation Committee chose the Cox Hollow area as a possible site for a lake.

1947

Iowa County Board of Supervisors approved the donation to the state of 160.5 acres for a park.

1948

Conservation Commissioners voted for a park in the Cox Hollow area. This is the "birth of the park."

Top

1954

Commissioners approved a western road entrance into the park. Work commenced on the road.

1955

The park was officially named Governor Dodge State Park after Henry Dodge. Park road was also completed.

1957

Conservation Commissioners approved dam and spillway plans. Work started on the dam and spillway.

1958

Beach area and boat landing completed.  Lake started to fill. Northern Pike and Bass planted. Melvin "Mike" Thomas assumed duties as Park Manager. Fire broke out in the northeast corner of the park causing limited damage. Electricity brought to the park. Newly created lake called Cox Hollow Lake.

1959

No fishing allowed on lake. Lake completely filled.

Top

1960

Fishing opened June 1st. Bathhouse construction started.  New park roads construction started.

1961

Bathhouse completed and opened for public use. New roads completed.  First camping area completed. Unwanted bluegills dumped into lake.

1962

Beginning of state parks admission sticker fee.

1964

Work started on a new addition to Cox Hollow campground. Iowa County received approval for a second dam and lake in the park (the future site of Twin Valley Lake). New dam project started.

1965

Cox Hollow campsites 49-117 open to the public.

1966

Construction on additional park roads started. Second dam completed.  Lake started to fill. Aerators installed in Cox Hollow Lake.  New beach area started and completed near new lake. Northern Pike and Bass planted in new lake.

1967

Construction commenced on new bathhouse. New boat marina completed.  Fishing opened on new lake. Snowmobiles allowed in park.

1968

New park entrance opened. Construction started on new visitor center.

1969

Visitor center completed. Concession stand opened near Cox Hollow Lake. Work started on service building. Work started on new 90 unit camping facility. Cox Hollow lake drained.

Top

1970

Control tower valve in Cox Hollow Lake closed. Cox Hollow Lake restocked with trout and bass. Fishing allowed on Cox Hollow Lake. Service building completed.

1971

Muskies were first planted in Twin Valley Lake.

1973

Cross-country ski trail was developed. New camping area; "300 series" was opened in the Twin Valley camping area. This added 55 new units to the existing facilities.

1975

New group camp area opened.

1976

New amphitheater constructed.

1977

New Mill Creek cross-country ski trail and bridge constructed.

1978

New Meadow Valley hiking-ski trail developed (7.5 miles).

1979

Three new picnic shelters constructed.

Top

1996

Visitor Center remodeled and expanded.

Top

2001

160 acres purchased from the Cassidy family.

2002

Newly constructed shower/toilet building opened at Hickory Ridge Group Camp.

2007

New boat dock installed at Cox Hollow boat launch.
Memorial flagpole erected at the park office.
The park grew another 80 acres with the purchase of land from the Rundhaug farm.

Top

Home | Join the Friends | DONATE! | Calendar | Going Green | Contact Us | Endowment
This site built and operated by:
Friends of Governor Dodge State Park
*The Friends are a non-profit 501(3)(c) organization, all donations are welcome.
Donate Today!
Contact the Friends:
Info at FriendsofGovDodge.org
Contact the Webmaster:
Webmaster at FriendsofGovDodge.org

All Rights Reserved - FOGDSP